Our Tavern is closed until 21st June
The Tavern is our Gastropub, open from 7am to 11 pm. Its history stretches back to 1746, when its slogan was ‘drunk for a penny and dead drunk for two pence’. That spirit of good cheer continues today with real ales from Adnams, an extensive range of wines by the glass and a great–value menu ranging from a very generous Full English Breakfast with warm baguettes and croissants from our own bakery, to Spit- Roasted Suckling Pigs , Free-range Chickens and a noted Suffolk Lamburger.
The first record of the Bleeding Heart Tavern, on the corner of the Bleeding Heart Yard and Charles street (as Greville street was then called) is in the 1746 edition of the London Register of Innkeepers and Alehouse Keepers.
The licensee was listed as one Roger Hebden, “a gentleman with no criminal
convictions.” At that time Charles Street, had virtually a tavern on every
corner – indeed Holborn boasted one tavern for every five private dwellings.
Drunkenness and Debauchery were rife, and some taverns boasted their customers could be “drunk for a penny, and dead drunk for two pence”.
Some local taverns offered a back room with “free straw” where drunken customers were laid out end to end to sleep off until they were ready to carouse once more.
The Bleeding Heart Tavern continued to trade until 1946. In that year the Tavern relinquished its license to become The Windsor Grill, and Charles Street was renamed Greville Street.
The Tavern is closed until 21st June